The City of Sails
This modern vibrant city is New Zealands largest with over ? of the countrys population, it is unquestionably our cosmopolitan capital. Auckland personifies New Zealands status as a true Pacific Island. It is home to an array of Polynesian cultures including Samoan, Tongan and Cook Island Maori to name a few. Add to the pot a mix of Korean, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Sudanese and South African, Auckland is a melting pot where the South Pacific shakes hands with Asia and the rest of the world.
View from MT Eden of Auckland City
Auckland City 400,000
Auckland Region 1,300,000
- Auckland Harbour stroll around Viaduct Harbour with its cafes, bars and restaurants and its amazing night life or check the Karangahape road night life.
- Drive across Tamaki drive, home to some of Aucklands most prestigious homes and amazing panoramic views or take glimpse of magnificent Mission Bay.
- Enjoy the breathtaking views of the city from the top of the Sky Tower at the height of 328m, some say on a clear day you can see till to Taupo lake.
- Take a scenic drive to Piha beach, or visit dozens of other Auckland beaches.
- Walk across Auckland on the Coast to Coast Walkway or take a Maori Guided tour walk.
- Take of many hiking trials through native forest in the Waitakere and Hunua Ranges.
- Visit the Aucklands Art Gallery.
- Enjoy and try your luck at the Sky City Casino.
- Mt Eden and One Tree Hill are both ancient volcanic domes and were occupied by Maori tribes. They both provide excellent 360 ? views of the city.
- Visit the Auckland War Memorial Museum, it has beautiful architecture and is surrounding by huge and magnificent domain park. Apart from New Zealand and Maori history and lots of artefacts there are a number of daily Kapa Haka (Maori cultural) performances.
- View Aucklands Botanic gardens and Parnell Rose Garden.
- Visit DressMart mall for some cheap shopping at the various factory outlets or designer shopping on Queen St. or High St. in the city.
- Visit the weekend market at the Aotea centre in the heart of the city.
- Do a Sky Jump, freefall from the top of the sky tower from a height of 300m+ or do a Vertigo Challenge to climb the sky tower.
- Do a reverse bungee at Victoria streets Sky Screamers.
- Climb up the Auckland Harbour Bridge or do a Bungy Jump from it if you dare
- Visit Kelly Tarltons underwater aquarium and also see its antarctic encounter.
- Visit the Auckland Zoo and the Rainbow’s end theme park in Manukau
- The Auckland Art Gallery
- Visit Waiheke Island where you can take a Winery tour
- The Auckland Museaum at the Domain has plenty of Activites for Kids especially
- Check out the nightlife in Mission Bay and stroll along the beach during the day
Where to Shop for Bargains
Avondale Flea Market (only open Sundays from 8am till 12pm)
The Dress Mart Shopping Mall where you find heaps of great deals on Big names brands