breathtaking walks from National Park Village
There are some superb walks from National Park Village.
- Fishers Track: Walk along an old logging track all the way through native bush to the hill top. It’s about a two hour retun walk from the village with some beautiful views.
- Taranaki Lookout: Another two hour return bush walk from National Park Village. Walk up Fishers Track onto Tupapakurua Falls Track and be sure to stop by Taranaki Lookout point where you can view Mount Taranaki.
- Tupapakurua Falls Track: This is a longer walk than the two mentioned above. It takes about four to five hours for a return trip from the village. It’s recommended for those people who are fit and well equiped and prepared. Walk through impenetrable bush with huge trees and steep terrain and stop by the Tupapakurua Falls viewing point at the border of a small canyon.
- Lake Rotpounamu: A scenic lake on the side of Mount Pihanga. This walk takes about 1 hour one-way to the lake.
- Ohinetonga Track: A two to three hour round walk located between Owhango and Whakapapa River.
- Tama Lakes:This walk is an extension of the Taranaki Falls track and is about five to six hours 17km return walk.
- Taranaki Falls:This walk will take you about 2 hours and is a loop track of 6km in total
- Taurewa Track:This footpath starts at the edge of Tongariro Forest and is known for its nature and birdlife. It’s a two to three hour loop track.
- Silica Rapids: 7km trek taking two and a half hours return via Bruce Road.
- Whakapapaiti Valley: This walk begins on Bruce Road at Scoria Flat Plan for four to five hours one way. 11km track in total.
- Northern Circuit: Longest of the treks mentioned so far. This is a two nights, three day walk in the region of Mount Ngauruhoe, plus the Tongariro Crossing. The trek begins at Mangatepopo and ends at Whakapapap Village.
- Round the Mountain: This is a four to six day big walk around Mount Ruapehu. It’s also the most popular trek with the most exhilarating and breathtaking views of the mountain.
Tama Lakes track, Tongariro National Park