Stunning Scenery like no other
All year round there is something to see and do. In the winter you can ski on Mt. Taranaki and in the summer a stroll along the beaches, streams and walking tracks are quite popular.
The best months to visit Taranaki are from December through to January, February and into April. While the weather can change most days, over those months, the temperature tends to be enjoyably warm.
This is a region full of natural beauty, attractions and activities and is becoming more and more a popular tourist destination spot. It is described as ‘real new Zealand’ and has something to offer everyone. New Plymouth is the commercial hub for this region.
View of Mt Taranaki from the Summit Track
New Plymouth District 70,000
Taranaki Region 105,000
Auckland to New Plymouth is 365kms approx 5 hours drive
Wellington to New Plymouth is 352kms approx 5 hours drive
- Egmont National Park where you can see Mount Taranaki ? New Zealand?s most accessible alpine areas. You can climb to the summit which is very popular among the tourists and in winter you can ski on Mt. Taranaki
- Enjoy the Stunning scenery of the White Cliffs Coastline and Eastern Taranaki Hill Country
- Visit Dawson Falls, 30m high lava-cliff waterfall surrounded by forest
- Kayak through Sugar Loaf Islands Marine Park
- New Plymouth?s 7km long foreshore walkway is very popular
- The beaches, streams and walking tracks are quite popular in the summer
- Govett-Brewster Art Gallery
- Paddle an genuine 12m Maori Canoe
- Big game fishing, charter fishing and diving
- Nearly 30 golf courses to choose form around the Taranaki region
- Surfing – some of the best surf in the country
- Like Cheese? If you do you can visit the Dairyland in Hawera which is the world?s largest single dairy factory
October to November – Rhododendron Festival
November – International Triathlon (ITU)
December to February – Festival of Lights
January – Taranaki Round the Mountain Cycle Challenge
December – March Concert series at the Bowl of Brooklands
July 2006 – Taranaki Festival of Arts
Did you know?
- Taranaki is the only region where you can try tandem surfing
- Hawera is home to the world?s largest single dairy factory