Waiheke Island the jewel of the Hauraki Gulf is only 35 minutes by ferry from Downtown Auckland New Zealand. The Island has award winning vineyards, olive groves and pastureland. Waiheke is a great place for a holiday or small weekend break to relax and wind down.
Waiheke is also a known to be a popular destination for romantic weddings with people booking the white sandy beaches and vineyards with breathtaking views for their big day.
Accommodation is also easy to find and plenty to choose from, from hotel accommodation, bed and breakfasts, backpackers, home stays, and holiday homes.
Waiheke Island Stonyridge Vineyards, Waiheke Island
There is plenty to do on your trip here some of these include Swimming, kayaking or boating on the Hauraki Gulf. You can hire a rental car, or take a tour and explore the island. Do some bird watching or go on bushwalks and experience the stunning nature and scenery or simply enjoy a spot of fishing.
There are several Waiheke Island Restaurants and Bars to select from.
Waiheke Island has a population of about 8,000 with almost 1,000 commuting to Auckland city everyday. In summer, the island’s population can grow to over 30,000 as tourists come for breaks over this period usually for a couple of days or longer. It?s therefore advisable to book accommodation well in advance to avoid any disappointments.
Waiheke Island has more than 30 wineries. The Waiheke Wine Festival in late January is recommended where you can enjoy wine tasting and sampling . Among the wines offered for tasting is Goldwater Estate’s Roseland Marlborough Chardonnay, and Esslin Waiheke Merlot.
Events and Activities
There are some amazing white sandy beaches in which you can go enjoy and relax and spend your time there soaking in the sun, or if you prefer,why not try a spot of kayaking, fishing or sailing.
On dry land there is plenty to see and do including some really beautiful walkways around the island. Visit the Historic village where you will learn about Waiheke Islands past. During Easter each year there is an International Jazz Festival hosted on the island, which features immense musicians from all over the world. So if you?re a jazz enthusiast then you must not miss this big event held only once a year.
Some of the other things available on waiheke island are the following:
- Waiheke Wine Tasting: There are wine tastings available 7 days a week where you can sample and taste some of new Zealand?s finest wines
- Waiheke Island Mystery Trail: A 4-wheel drive Mystery Trail ideal for a group of friends wanting to have some fun!
- Connells Bay Sculpture Park: Modern New Zealand sculpture in a bush and coastal environment
- Anu Spa: Includes a wide variety of Massages, Therapy, Facials, Spa Treatments and lots more
- Waiheke Island Historic Village: Includes a woolshed museum and restored cottage presented as a classic 1930’s Waiheke dwelling
- Waiheke Island Cinema: Community Cinema
- Open air Cinema: Enjoy a huge outdoor screen. Make sure you bring a picnic rug to sit on