Where the Grass is greener
Waikato is in the North Island of New Zealand and is known for its rich green hills, bush and farmland farmland. It?s also well know for its beautiful waterfalls, hot mineral pools, beaches and not forgetting the most important attraction of all, the magical limestone glow worm caves in Waitomo. The caves have attracted visitors for over 100 years. The dazzling Waikato River – New Zealand?s longest river, makes its passage through the countryside, and meets Hamilton ? Waikato regions focal point. Hamilton is a city of parks and gardens, elegant cuisine and cafes, culture and attractions which include the beautiful Hamilton Gardens.
Waikato River – New Zealand’s Longest River
Hamilton to Auckland is 126kms – 1hour 30 mins
Hamilton to Waitomo is 75kms ? 1 hour
Hamilton to Rotorua 108kms ? 1 hour 10 mins
- The magical limiestone glow worm caves well worth a visit. Vistors to these caves never failt to be amazed. The caves have attracted visitors for over 100 years.
- Several Fantastic River walkways and native bush walks
- Waitakaruru Arboretum & Sculpture Park
- Skycity Hamilton. This is an entertainment attraction, offering 23 gaming tables and 339 gaming machines.
- Hot air balloon activities – The ultimate experience
- Water sports, jet boating and paddleboat cruises on the Waikato River.
- See the regions history by visiting one of the local museums
- Excellent wineries, cafes and restaurants
- 38 golf courses all within an hours drive from Hamilton
- Sky diving, rock climbing and gliding
- Arts and Crafts
- Quad biking
- Take a scenic flight tour over the Waikato countryside, and the rugged west coast at Heliworx Waikato
For 2006 there will be the following events:
10-27 August – 27th International Film Festival at Hamilton
02 September – The Great Race at Hamilton
09 September – NPC: Waikato vs. Northland at the Waikato Stadium
21-24 September – NZ Craft Fair at the Waikato Events Centre
5-8 October – Waikato Home & Garden Show at the Waikato Events Centre
15-19 November – Pacific Rose Bowl Festival at the Hamilton Gardens
2 December – Christmas at the Lake in Hamilton