Avis is the top rental car company in New Zealand and offers a wide range of modern vehicles in the fleet, from economical sub-compacts, to spacious sedans, wagons, 4WD Vehicles and passenger vans with unlimited kilometres.
Our research shows that for a 15 day return to Auckland the cheapest Rental vehicle would cost you NZ$585.01 in winter and NZ$1,185.01 in summer which is quite expensive compared to other rentals like Jucy and Ace, especially in the summer. See the table for a detailed comparison with four other top rental companies.
Avis have 25 branches in New Zealand located in Auckland, Blenheim, Christchurch, Dunedin, Gisborne, Greymouth, Hamilton, Hokitika, Invercargill, Kerikeri, Napier , Nelson, New Plymouth, Palmerston North, Picton, Queenstown, Rotorua , Taupo, Tauranga,Timaru, Wanganui , Wellington, Westport, Whakatane and Whangarei.
If you are travelling with children then they also have you covered, Avis have infact seats for little young ones, baby seats as well as booster seats all available to hire. These can be purchased after confirmation for $35.00 per rental plus GST.
Vehicles are complete with dual airbags, child safety seats, snow racks and chains, free road maps, 24hr Avis Cares Roadside Service and Avis$aver Voucher Booklets offering over 100 great holiday discount offers.
4WD Vehicles, Automatic Vehicles, Economy Cars, Executive Cars, Family Cars, Hatchbacks, Manual Vehicles, Medium Sized Cars, Minivans, Sedans, Small Cars and Station Wagons.
Car insurance is included for vehicles with an excess of $3093.75. You can reduce excess by paying a daily premium of NZ$24.75 including GST, reducing the excess down to $NZ253.12 including GST for standard fleet. Optional insurance upgrades are also available for personal accident insurance, personal effects and baggage insurance.
To drive an Avis vehicle you must be over 21 years and hold a full driver’s license for a minimum of 12 months. If you are aged between 21 -25 years, an under-age add-on will apply and will cost $25.00 NZD (plus GST) per day per driver.
There is no extra charge if there is more than one driver.
- A large selection of vehicles to suit your budget
- A NZ Wide network of branches
- Can make a reservation and access receipts online
- Great deals always available such as Free Upgrade on Compact Rentals
- You can earn Air New Zealand Air Points
- You can earn Fly Buy Points
- Ability to view, modify or cancel your reservation by registering online free of charge
- Avis Cares Roadside Assistance available 24 hours a day
- Avis are very slow to respond if you leave them a query using the online form on their website.
- If you wish to travel from the North to the South Island you are not permitted to take your Avis rental vehicle on a ferry. You must purchase a Multi-Island Hire.
After Hours Service
The majority of Avis branches have an after hours drop off service allowing you to return the vehicle after office hours. Please check if this is available at the branch you are returning the vehicle to and also if there will be a drop fee.
Avis Cares Roadside Assistance: 0800-652-847.