Southern Cross Travel Insurance is well known in New Zealand. It has also recently won an award for the workplace for being the overall top employer winner and small workplace category winner in the annual Unlimited/JRA Best Places to Work in New Zealand survey.
To apply for Southern Cross Travel Insurance you must be aged 80 or under and have a valid New Zealand Work Permit or travelling to New Zealand as a visitor.
- Buy online and you get 20% off Travelcare
- 24-hour emergency assistance / 7 days a week
- You can cancel your policy providing it is within 10 days of purchase and before your start data and receive a full refund.
- Confirmation Via Text Message and Email that cover is in place
- 15% Discount for Southern Cross members
- Even with 20% cover is still expensive compared to other travel insurance companies
- If you are aged 61 to 80 years of age at the time your policy is issued, a premium surcharge will apply.
- Travellers aged 81 or over are not eligible for this insurance policy.
- Cancellations or an administration fee may apply if you want to cancel or amend your policy later than 10 days after purchase
Travel Insurance Types
Frequent Traveller Insurance – A annual policy for New Zealanders travelling regularly for business or holidays
Working Overseas Insurance – This is for New Zealanders going overseas for work or on a working holiday
Visiting NZ insurance – Health and Travel insurance for visitors coming to New Zealand to work or for a holiday
International Student Insurance – Health and Travel Insurance for students studying in New Zealand
- No Excess on Medical Claims
- Cover for hospitalisation, doctor and prescription expenses
- Medical departure back to your home country if you have the visiting NZ Insurance – If you are injured or become ill and the cost of medical expenses exceeds the cost of departure, Southern Cross are entitled to return you to your home country if you are medically fit to fly unless you have a Permanent residency permit.
- Cover for flight cancellations, lost luggage and missed connections
- Cover for lost or stolen passports and other important travel documents
- Travel friend expenses, if hospitalised or repatriated
- Accidental death and permanent dasablement cover
- Personal liability protection cover
- Rental Vehicle excess cover
- If you select Visiting NZ Max as your plan, Southern Cross will compensate you if you are robbed or mugged and your personal belongings are stolen
Southern Cross Travel Insurance Consultants
Within New Zealand: 0800 800 571
International: +64 9 379 4970
Things you should know
Most types of work can be covered, apart from professional sport, heavy manual and hazardous work.
If you purchase the Visiting New Zealand Insurance then please select which plan is right for you carefully (Visiting NZ Max or Visiting NZ Essentials) The Visiting NZ Max offers you additional cover for the loss, theft or damage of your Baggage and Personal Items.
It is your responsibility to look after your items. Southern Cross will not cover you for items left unattended.
If any claim involves an accident, you must first make a claim to the New Zealand Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC).
You must report any items that have been loss or stolen to the police within 24 hours and obtain a written report. If you do not report these then Southen Cross will not cover you for these.
How to make a Claim
You will need to print a claim form by downloading one from the site or you can click here to download it. Once it is completed and signed you can post or delivery it with all the documentation.