As of 2008, TOWER Insurance now provide travel insurance. There new website allows you to get an online quote, purchase online insurance and receive the policy number to your mobile phone and your detailed policy document and insurance certificate policy via e-mail. TOWER is the only New Zealand owned insurance company to offer this text message and email service.
If you purchase travel insurance for a single person travelling for 32 days, worldwide it will cost you $219 which is a fairly reasonable price compared to AA that charge $247. An excess of $100 is applicable for each claim event which means you must pay the first NZ $100 of every claim or loss.
- The online site is simple to use to get a quote and then go on to buying the travel insurance.
- Offers a loss of air fare cover – One of the keys things they do is offer a loss of air fare cover which means that if something unexpected happens that’s out of your control such as sickness, Tower will actually cover you for the air fairs. That means its quite important you should take out Travel Insurance when you book your flight or pay your deposit for your holiday.
- Medical Cover is provided including emergency dental treatment and cover for emergency purchases so if you are deprived of your luggage for 12 hours or more then Tower will pay up to $500 worth for the essential items such as clothing and toiletries and if your deprived for 72 hours they will pay $1000.
- Excess insurance on hire cars – Tower has a rental vehicle excess insurance policy (an optional extra) and that actually covers you in the event you have to make a claim on a rental vehicle.
- If you are travelling with family, you do not need to have a policy for every family member. Tower has policies that cover the entire family.
- There are Policies for frequent travellers so if you travel quite regularly Tower can actually cover you for a full year and they are quite cost effective and convenient.
- If your an Existing Tower Insurance customer and you’ve got two or more car, house or contents policies with tower, Tower will give you a special deal on their Tower provider Travel insurance policy.
- You can save the quote online and come back later anytime to purchase the policy
- The policy number is sent to your mobile phone and your detailed policy document and insurance certificate policy is sent to you via e-mail.
- You can cancel and get a full refund as provided within the seven days Free Look period.
- If you choose to extend a previously purchased policy which has started then it will involve a new policy having to be re-underwritten and have a new premium payable.
- Sporting activities not covered include mountaineering, rock climbing, parachuting, hang or tow gliding, microlite flying, sky diving, paragliding or parasailing, pot holing, bungy jumping, rodeo activities, hunting, competing or racing (other than on foot), white water activities or underwater activities involving the use of artificial breathing apparatus unless an internationally recognised diving qualification is held and professional sporting activity or training, or extreme versions of any sport.
Travel Insurance Types
Individual Plan – Single person travelling
Family Plan – The Family Plan covers you, your spouse or genuine partner and your dependent children under the age of 18 who permanently live with you, provided they have New Zealand residency.
Listed below are some of the main features and benefits I picked up from the TOWER Travel Insurance website:
- Refund is available on a purchased policy provided it’s within the seven days Free Look period.
- Unlimited Loss of Deposits, Cancellation fees and Curtailment
- Loss of air fare cover which is included in the Loss of Deposits, Cancellation fees and Curtailment – this means that if something unexpected happens that’s out of your control such as sickness, Tower will cover you for the air fairs.
- If you purchase plan C (Worldwide Travel) you are eligible for Unlimited Medical and other expenses.
- Tower has policies that cover the entire family so you don’t have to take out a policy for every family member.
- Policies are available for frequent travellers which means Tower can cover you for a full year and they are quite cost effective and suitable.
- Special Deals available for Existing Tower Insurance customers
Insurance consultants: 0800 808 808
Calling within New Zealand: toll free on 0800 800 477
Calling from Overseas: +64 9 985 5000, 24 hours a day.
Email Enquiries: email@example.com
Things you should know
You cannot buy the travel insurance after you have departed New Zealand. Its quite important you take out Travel Insurance when you book your flight or pay your deposit for your holiday so you can claim for loss of air fare if you have to.
If you need to make a claim you should do so as soon possible. Remember to save all purchase receipts to support your claim. For emergency claims, you need to contact TOWER immediately.
How to make a claim
To make a claim on your travel insurance policy, You will need to complete the online form, by telephone or by post. For the online form, please click here
Your claim will be settled when you return to New Zealand except for overseas medical claims.